Keynote Speaker Category: Internet of Things, TEDX, The Future of Cities,
– Founding partner of Umbrellium – Sept 2013 – Present
– Founder CEO Thingful – Nov 2013 – Present
– Founder and Director of Haque Design + Research – 2000 – Present
– Director Urban Projects Division Xively – July 2011 – July 2013
– Founder / CEO Pachube.com – Internet of Things data infrastructure and community platform Pachube.com, which was acquired by LogMeIn in 2011, rebranded as Xively, and sold on to Google in 2018.
Companies and projects:
– Awarded the 2008 Design of the Year Award (interactive) from the Design Museum, UK
2009 World Technology Award (art)
– Japan Media Arts Festival Excellence prize
– The Asia Digital Art Award Grand Prize.
– Member IoT World Forum Steering Committee
– Part of the authoring committee for the BSI PAS 212, ‘Automatic resource discovery for the Internet of Things’. http://umbrellium.co.uk/ • https://haque.co.uk/ • https://twitter.com/uah
In the media:
Long list here: http://haque.co.uk/papers.php including the following:
What is Interaction? Are there different types? (co-author) – ACM Interactions 2009
In Praise of Messy Cities – Wired 2013
Citizen Empowerment Through Cultural Infrastructure – in 4D Hyperlocal
Managing Privacy in the Internet of Things – in Harvard Business Review
What is a City that it would be Smart – in Volume No. 34
Urban Versioning System – co-authored with Matthew Fuller pub. Situated Technologies
Medium articles, incl. Are smart cities broken? Reimagining urban technologies
RePublica 2017, Berlin – Mutually Assured Construction
TedxExeter 2016, Exeter – Making decisions about technologies that make decisions about us
ODI Summit 2015, London – Searching for the internet of things
Innovative City Forum 2015, Tokyo – What is it that you design… Who is it that designs… Who decides?
Brain Bar Budapest 2015, Budapest – In Praise of Messy Cities
Product Tank 2014, London – Smart People, Dumb Objects
Strata 2012, Santa Clara – Open Data and the Internet of Things
Usman Haque is founding partner of Umbrellium (http://umbrellium.co.uk/), designing & building urban technologies that support citizen empowerment and high-impact engagement in cities; and Thingful (https://thingful.net/) a search engine for the Internet of Things.
Earlier, he launched the Internet of Things data infrastructure and community platform Pachube.com, which was acquired by LogMeIn in 2011, rebranded as Xively, and sold on to Google in 2018.
Trained as an architect, Usman has created dozens of platforms, responsive environments, interactive installations, digital interface devices and mass-participation initiatives throughout the world. His skills include the design and engineering of both physical spaces and the software and systems that bring them to life. He has also taught at the Bartlett School of Architecture, including the Interactive Architecture Workshop (until 2005) and, with Adam Greenfield, RC12 Urban Design cluster, “Participatory systems for networked urban environments”.
He received the 2008 Design of the Year Award (interactive) from the Design Museum, UK, a 2009 World Technology Award (art), the Japan Media Arts Festival Excellence prize and the Asia Digital Art Award Grand Prize. He is also a Member IoT World Forum Steering Committee, and part of the authoring committee for the BSI PAS 212, ‘Automatic resource discovery for the Internet of Things’. http://umbrellium.co.uk/ • https://haque.co.uk/ • https://twitter.com/uah