Keynote Speaker Category: Building Teams, Innovation, Resilience, Robotics,
Mark Pollock is an Irish adventurer, athlete, and motivational speaker. He was a promising athlete who competed in rowing and endurance events before losing his sight at the age of 22 due to a rare genetic disorder. Despite this setback, Pollock continued to push boundaries and became the first blind person to reach the South Pole. He has also completed numerous marathons and endurance races.
In addition to his athletic achievements, Mark Pollock is known for his resilience, determination, and inspiring mindset. He has overcome significant challenges in his life and has become a sought-after keynote speaker, sharing his experiences and insights on topics such as resilience, overcoming adversity, teamwork, and innovation.
Pollock’s talks often focus on the power of the human spirit and the importance of embracing change and pushing beyond perceived limitations. He combines his personal journey with universal themes that resonate with audiences from various backgrounds. He also draws upon his experiences as a researcher and advocate for spinal cord injury recovery, highlighting the potential for advancements in science and technology to improve lives.
Mark Pollock’s motivational speeches have been well-received globally, and he has spoken at numerous corporate events, conferences, and universities. His ability to connect with audiences, share inspiring stories, and provide practical takeaways makes him a compelling choice as a keynote speaker.
- Resilience and Overcoming Adversity: Pollock shares his personal journey of overcoming challenges and setbacks, highlighting the power of resilience in navigating adversity and embracing change.
- Leadership in the Face of Uncertainty: Pollock explores the qualities and strategies that effective leaders employ when dealing with uncertainty and disruption. He discusses the importance of adaptability, perseverance, and inspiring others in times of change.
- Embracing Innovation and Technology: Drawing from his own experiences as a pioneer in research and technology, Pollock discusses the potential of advancements in science and technology to transform lives and unlock new possibilities.
- Collaboration and Teamwork: Pollock emphasizes the value of collaboration and teamwork in achieving ambitious goals. He shares insights on fostering effective teamwork, building strong relationships, and leveraging diverse strengths to accomplish extraordinary outcomes.
- Motivation and Peak Performance: Pollock delves into the mindset and strategies necessary to achieve peak performance, both individually and as part of a team. He explores the power of goal setting, self-belief, and determination in reaching one’s full potential.
- Inspiration and Empowerment: Through his captivating story, Pollock aims to inspire and empower audiences to overcome their own obstacles, pursue their passions, and embrace their potential. He encourages individuals to adopt a positive mindset and take action to create positive change in their lives and communities.
These are some of the key topics that Mark covers in his speeches. However, he can tailor his content to align with the specific needs and goals of different events and organisations.
How to stay motivated while working from home
Mark Pollock’s journey from extreme athlete to spinal-cord injury patient
Mark Pollock: Curing paralysis is our toughest challenge yet
Search for cure deepened our love, says paralysed adventurer Mark Pollock
UCLA scientist gives couple hope while searching for a cure for paralysis
Unbroken: Mark Pollock
A Love Letter to realism in a time of grief
A love Letter to Realism in a Time of Grief
Unbroken by blindness in 1998, Mark became an adventure athlete competing in ultra- endurance races across deserts, mountains, and the polar ice caps including being the first blind person to race to the South Pole. He also won silver and bronze medals for rowing at the Commonwealth Games and set up a motivational speaking business (www.markpollock.com).
In 2010 a fall from a second story window nearly killed him. Mark broke his back and the damage to his spinal cord left him paralysed. Now he is on a new expedition, this time to cure paralysis in our lifetime by exploring the intersection where humans and technology collide.
As a speaker, Mark is best known for his 2018 TED Talk focused on resolving the tension between acceptance and hope (go.ted.com/markandsimone) delivered jointly with his fiancée, Simone George. It gathered over 1.5 million views in its first 6 months online and has been translated into 12 languages. He has inspired millions of people in hundreds of organisations and is a Davos, World Economic Forum, InnoTown, F.ounders, EG and Wired speaker.
Co-Founder of the global running series called Run in the Dark (www.runinthedark.org), Mark has been selected by the World Economic Forum as a Young Global Leader and is a former member of the Global Futures Council on Human Enhancement. He is a UBS Global Visionary, is on the Board of the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation (USA) and is a Wings for Life Ambassador (Europe).
In addition, Mark is the subject of the acclaimed documentaries ‘Blind Man Walking’ and ‘Unbreakable – The Mark Pollock Story’, he has been awarded honorary doctorates by The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland and also from Queens University Belfast. And, he holds a diploma in Global Leadership and Public Policy for the 21st Century from Harvard University, degrees from Trinity College Dublin and The Smurfit Business School.
Following Mark’s impactful contribution to our Global Conference in 2017, we asked him back to talk to our staff worldwide during this period of unprecedented turbulence. Switching from the in-person to on-screen format, Mark managed to engage even more directly and powerfully with our teams . I cannot think of anyone we have had present over the years who has been more inspiring and speaks with such resonance to so many of us. Co-hosted with his colleague Paula Cunniffe it went down universally well, my favourite moment was when Mark reminded us that sometimes the challenge chooses us and what we decide to do about it is what counts – exactly what we needed at this time.Sir Alan ParkerBrunswick Group
I was honoured to meet with Mark Pollock in Ireland this year, where we engaged with teachers and students at St. Patrick’s College to discuss the ways technology is changing how students learn. Mark is an extreme adventurer and athlete who has raced to the South Pole — and even more incredibly, he was the first blind man to ever do so. Mark is a brilliant example of the fact that we can always achieve more than what we think is possible.Satya NadellaCEO Microsoft
It was a privilege to have Mark address both our customers and our Management Team at Google. He delivers that rare combination of inspiration, perspective and practical insight that forces his audience to really reflect on how they rise to their personal challenges and set goals that seem unachievable. He delivers his message in a deeply personal, humorous and memorable way that lands with his audience. It was a pleasure for all of us to spend time in his company. Inspiring.Regional DirectorNorthern Europe, Google